Sunday, July 24, 2011

Pasta Sauce Taste-Test and Recipe

In keeping with a healthy lifestyle, I look for items that are not only gluten-free but low in sugar or sugar-free.  I'm not sure if there's such a thing as an allergy to refined sugar but it sure doesn't do my body any good.  I avoid anything that has refined sugar, corn syrup etc. and look for natural options like agave nectar, brown rice syrup, honey and sugars derived from fruit juces.  In doing so I have eliminated "brain fog", afternoon fatigue, and reduced the number of migraines I get.  I was delighted to find a brand of pasta sauce that was not only gluten-free but had no added sugar and only natural sugars that come from the tomatoes themselves. The brand is Paesana Marinara and you can get more information and recipes at: www.paesana.com.  To go along with the sauce is my favorite pasta, Tinkyada brand brown rice pasta.  For more information on their products go to www.ricepasta.com or www.tinkyada.com. The following is a quick and easy recipe using both of these:

Easy Pasta 'n Sauce

Ingredients:
1 Tb. olive oil
1 1/2 c. baby bella mushrooms, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 jar (25 oz.) Paesana Marinara
1 pkg. Tinkyada Brown Rice Pasta (I used the penne)

Directions:  Prepare the pasta according to the package.  Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.  Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.  Add garlic and saute for an additional 1 1/2 minutes.  Add sauce, stir, reduce heat to simmer.  Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.  Pour the drained and rinsed pasta into the pan.  Toss with the sauce to coat.  Serve!

(Optional:  sprinkle some freshly grated parmesan cheese on top.)

No comments:

Post a Comment